Celebrating 75 Years!
Troop 258’s charter was assigned to Canby in April 1939 with Thomas E. Fletcher as Scoutmaster, the late Hal Cattley and Lewis Stumm as Assistant Scoutmasters, Carl Joeknk as Committee Chairman, Harvey N. Everhart and Dr. C.P. Shewey and J.L. Tretheway as committeemen. The charter was presented May 22, 1939 at ceremonies in Canby Methodist Church. No charter membership roster is available, but on the roll at a county-wide Court of Honor held August 31, 1939 in Oregon City Dick and John Tretheway were accredited as First Class scouts and 15 attained Second Class rank: Paul Sollie, Ernest and Lawrence Graham, Harry Kletzok, William Schenk, Don Clauson, Dick Kyllo, Don Mitts, Boyd Lawson, Alan Markee, Jimmie Trafton, Kenneth Freece, Jack Cutsforth, Harry Stewart and George E. Irwin, Jr.
Canby was host to its first Clackamas district Court of Honor in December 1939.
Thomas E. Fletcher was Scoutmaster from 1939 until 1943, Carl A. Blood 1943-45, Lewis Stumm 1945-48, John J. Stone 1948-49, Lawrence R. Beck 1949-51, Marion Howe 1951-52. All of these were under Kiwanis sponsorship.
Zoar Lutheran Church took over sponsorship of Troop 258 in 1952 when Paul Sollie replaced Marion Howe as Scoutmaster for a year, followed by Bert A. Davis of Salem. LaVerne Hoffman was registered as a Scoutmaster from 1954-57, Charles Geiger 1957-59. Herman A. Bergman assumed the post in 1959, although Raymond Hanneman and Gordon Lindland both served as Scoutmaster for a time under Lutheran church sponsorship.
Only a year after its own formation, Troop 258 organized Canby’s first Cub Scout pack, 505, which was activated in July of 1940 and is now under sponsorship of a local P.T.A. unit.
The troop began a winning tradition in 1940 when their entry in the first Skillorama was judged one of the best in show. Other events that year included a Mt. Hood climb by 13 scouts in July, Larch Mountain to Multnomah Falls hike in August and a visit to the Macleay Park bird sanctuary in November.
The troop’s first Eagle Scout, Weston Peterson, earned his first merit badges under Scoutmaster Blood and completed the eagle requirements under Mr. Stumms leadership. He was 16 at the time.
Lawrence R. Beck, who had previously served as Scoutmaster for a West Linn troop, earned merit badges along with his scouts and soon after assuming leadership of Troop 258 he was awarded his Eagle badge (Such an award is no longer available to adults).
In 1958, with the troop under Charles Giger, the Canby Lions Club took over sponsorship of the troop. Herman A. Bergman became Scoutmaster in 1959 and, except for a short period of eight months in 1963 when Rex Eide assumed command, continued as Scoutmaster until August 1969.
Jon Wayne Lemke assumed the role of Scoutmaster in August 1969 and passed leadership to Gerald Rothi in 1973. The Canby Kiwanis resumed sponsorship of the troop in 1968 after a ten-year lapse.
Paul Rothi and Scott Phinny, who each received their Eagle badges in 1974, participated in a delegation of 14 Portland area scouts that attended the World Jamboree in Lillehammer, Norway from July 25- August 7, 1975.
Troop 258 has had many meeting places in its fifty year history, with no place to call its own until an Army surplus quonset-type building was obtained by the city of Canby and placed on the Northwest corner of Wait Park as a youth center. The building was used almost exclusively by Troop 258 as a meeting place.
The troop also met in Canby City Park during the warm days of summer, and in the gymnasium of Eccles school during the winter, all under the leadership of Lemke and Marshall Palmer.
Ed Fountain took over the Scoutmaster position from Gerald Rothi in 1978, giving up the position to Al Tate in 1979. 1981 saw Tim Tye attend the National Jamboree in Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia.
Ed Holbrook became Scoutmaster in 1983, after serving as an assistant Scoutmaster for the troop since 1972, and is still an assistant Scoutmaster today. Currently, Troop 258 is the largest troop in Clackamas District. Assistant Scoutmasters include: Jake Taasevigen, Ron Dale, Dennis Edwards, Roger Star, Rod Porter, Gerald Bagge, David Holbrook, Tim Tye and Eric Taasevigan. The committee chairman is Tom Tye, and Herman Bergman is the scout coordinator.
Early in 1970 a move was started by former members of the troop, members of the American Legion and Explorer Post 713 to investigate the possibility of constructing a building to house the various youth groups in Canby that did not have adequate places to meet. A committee representing the various groups developed a plan and in December 1970 construction began on the A-frame that now stands in Canby City Park.
The responsibility of obtaining materials and funds for the building fell on the leaders of Troop 258, who organized scrap metal and glass drives, a Christmas tree sale, and a consolidated solicitation of money and material pledges. The latter was headed by Mrs. Woodson LeSueur of the Troop 258 wives’ committee.
Crown Zellerbach Corporation provided the logs used in the basic structure and the scouts used the next several months to peel and clean the bark from the logs.
The main support logs were raised and secured on June 12, 1971 with the use of boom trucks supplied by Larry Whitman Boom Company and the Canby Telephone Association. National Guard members assisted in fitting lower crossbeams, nailing decking and shakes on the roof, and framing sidewalls.
Gerald Rothi became Scoutmaster in 1973 and also became sort of “chief builder.” Under Rothi’s direction the side walls were competed, both ends of the building were framed and plexiglass windows were installed.
Most of the construction completed in 1974 was done by the officers and men of the Naval Reserve unit (SAMAR), Swan Island. These men framed the sleeping deck, ran electrical conduit, did landscape and cleanup work, cut steps and prepared the flagpole for varnishing.